Potato & Leek Gratin
This Potato & Leek Gratin dish features a golden crisp crust with tender, cheesy potatoes, the combinations of textures and flavors is a great balance. Serve with eggs and a side of fruit for breakfast or as a side for dinner.
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large leek, trimmed, halved lengthwise, and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Adapted from cookinglight.com
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Combine milk, potatoes, and garlic in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup milk mixture.
Melt butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add leek; cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat; place leek mixture in a bowl.
Arrange half of potato slices in a single layer in bottom of skillet or a gratin dish; top evenly with half of leek mixture. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup Gruyère cheese. Repeat layers with remaining half of potatoes, remaining half of leek mixture, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 cup Gruyère. Drizzle with reserved 1/2 cup milk mixture; sprinkle with Parmesan.
Cover pan with foil; bake at 375°F for 25 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove foil from pan. Turn on broiler (do not remove pan from oven). Broil 5 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Remove pan from oven, and sprinkle with pepper; cool. Cut into 10 wedges.
You'll also love
- Spanish Rice with Chorizo 4.3/5 (11 Votes)
- Eggplant Parmesan 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Easy Lasagna Pasta Bake 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- How to Spatchcock Cornish Hens 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Coffee-Marinated Flank Fajitas... 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Miso-Glazed Turnips 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Pumpkin Potato Gnocchi with Brown... 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- "No Bake" Baked Potato Salad 4.4/5 (8 Votes)