Chicken Dumpling Casserole
The key to preparing this Chicken Dumpling Casserole is to not stir anything. That's what makes your dumplings. When you dish it out, you have your dumplings on top. You may want to use low sodium granules and add some veggies to make it a one pot meal.
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, boiled and shredded
- 2 cups chicken stock (from boiling the breasts above)
- 1/2 cup butter (1-stick)
- 2 cups Bisquick or self-rising flour
- 2 cups 2% milk (whatever you prefer)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (the herbed cream of chicken soup adds lots more flavor)
- 3 teaspoons Wylers chicken granules or 3 bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon black pepper & salt, as desired
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 70mins
Adapted from theshadyporch.com
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place chicken breasts in sauce pan with enough water to cover the chicken. Bring to a boil, then turn off the heat; place a lid on your pot and allow to sit for 10 to 15 minutes to finish cooking. Remove chicken from stock (reserve the stock) and allow to cool, then shred the chicken with a fork.
When building the layered casserole, do not mix the layers.
In 9x13-inch casserole dish, melt 1 stick of butter. Spread shredded chicken over butter. Sprinkle black pepper and dried sage over this layer. If you want to serve this as a pot pie, add a layer of vegetables now.
In small bowl, mix milk and Bisquick. Slowly pour over chicken.
In medium bowl, whisk together 2 cups of the chicken stock (strained, if needed), chicken granules and soup. Once blended, slowly pour over the Bisquick layer. Add some of the hot stock to the soup can to help melt the soup and get it all out of the can).
Bake casserole for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
You'll also love
- Outback Steakhouse Macaroni &... 3.9/5 (328 Votes)
- Garlic Shrimp 4.5/5 (182 Votes)
- Simple 5 Ingredient Crock Pot... 3.9/5 (296 Votes)
- Red Lobster Shrimp Pasta 3.9/5 (275 Votes)
- Paleo Comfort Foods' Chicken... 4.3/5 (203 Votes)
- Tortilla Chicken Casserole 4.4/5 (163 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings... 4.2/5 (194 Votes)
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts 4.4/5 (148 Votes)