Smothered Chicken Casserole
Chicken, ceasar dressing, bacon, mushrooms and cheese, it gets no better than this!
- 1/2 cups prepared caesar salad dressing
- 4 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts halves
- 4 whole bacon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 whole onion, diced
- 8 ounces, weight mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 1/4 cups fresh parsley, minced, plus more for garnish
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 pound angel hair pasta
Adapted from tastykitchen.com
Marinate chicken breasts in caesar dressing for at least 3 hours, up to overnight.
Cook bacon until crisp, remove from pan and drain off all but about 2 tablespoons of the fat. Heat pan to medium-high heat.
Remove chicken from marinade and cook in bacon fat until well browned. You don’t have to cook the chicken through, just get some color on it. Remove chicken from pan and place in a 9×13″ casserole dish.
Drain off all the bacon fat from the pan and add butter. Once melted, stir in the onion and mushrooms. Cook until soft and starting to caramelize, 5-7 minutes.
Stir flour into the onions and mushrooms and cook for 1 minute. Stir broth and cream into the flour mixture and bring to boil, constantly stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Stir in salt, pepper, lemon juice, cheese, and parsley and pour over the chicken in the casserole dish. Top with fresh tomatoes and bake at 350°F, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and chicken is cooked through.
While the chicken is baking, cook angel hair pasta to al dente on the stovetop and drain.
Remove chicken from the oven, stir pasta into the sauce and serve topped with crumbled bacon and more fresh parsley.
You'll also love
- Deep Dish Pizza Cupcakes 4.5/5 (123 Votes)
- Baked Ham & Cheese Sandwiches 4.1/5 (158 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Thai Chicken -- Weight... 4.3/5 (137 Votes)
- Buffalo Chicken Bites 4.5/5 (113 Votes)
- Garlic Lemon Chicken Bake 4.5/5 (113 Votes)
- Easy Mexican Casserole 4.4/5 (123 Votes)
- Taco Casserole 4.5/5 (116 Votes)
- Chicken Crescent Roll Casserole 4.4/5 (114 Votes)