Sweet and Pungent Pineapple Chicken
This is my never fail favorite. I have added this and that to it over the years, but the addition of the pineapple juice to the batter and sauce have really made it perfect. I gave you approximately how much to use but each time you make it you can add or subtract it and just replace it with water if it is not to your taste.
- Sauce: (should be prepared at least 1 day ahead)
- 2 cucumbers peeled and sliced into small pieces
- 10 Tbsp sugar
- 6 Tbsp soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarcch
- 1 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 Tbsp. juice from pineapples
- 4 eggs
- 2 c. flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 8 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- 4 lbs chicken breast cut into 1" cubes
- 8-12 pineapple slices. reserve juice for battter and sauce.
- 2 Tbsp. vermouth ( I never did this step. but friends have and liked it)
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 35mins
Pare cucumber; slice lenghwise and scrape out and discard seeds. Cut into bite size pieces.
In storage container with lid; combine sugar, vinegar, soy sauce and salt; stir until sugar is dissolved. Add cucumber, refrigerate 1 hour if you are in a rush, overnight if you can. From time to time shake the container to completly coat the cucumbers and keep the sugar combined.
When ready to use, drain vinegar mixture from cucumbers into a saucepan; bring mixture to boiling. Slowly stir in 2 Tbsp. Juice from pineapples (or more if you like) Combine the cornstarch with the water andslowly stir into vinegar mixture. Cucumber and Pineapples should be placed on a large serving platter.
Wash chicken breasts. Cut into 1 inch cubes. (this is where it is tossed with the vermouth and set aside for a 1/2 hour)
Make batter in large bowl; beat eggs, add flour, salt, ginger, 3/4 cup water and 1/4 cup reserved juice from pineapples. (This can also be increased to your liking). Stir until smooth. Stir in Sesame Seeds
In a large heavy saucepan or frying pan, heat oil (1 to 1 1/2 inches deep) to 350 degrees. Dip pieces of chicken into batter. Deep fry in oil, turning once until golden (about 4 min).
Arrange on top of pineapples and cucumber pieces and coat with a little bit of the sauce.
I serve with white rice.
You'll also love
- Buffalo Chicken & Blue Cheese... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Best Chicken n Biscuits 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Indian Curry Chicken Balls 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Asian-Style Chicken Salad 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Low Carb Chicken Chow Mein 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Garlic Chicken Mitsu Ken Style 3.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Electric Skillet Fried Chicken 3.8/5 (21 Votes)