Basic Thanksgiving Dressing
There is nothing "basic" about this Thanksgiving Dressing, it's so yummy! I like it just as it is written, but it may easily be adapted to meet your specific taste.
- 1 loaf or round corn bread
- 1 loaf French or Italian bread
- 1 loaf ciabatta or other crusty artisan bread
- 1/2 cup (1-stick) butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus more if necessary
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from parade.condenast.com
The day before Thanksgiving, cut corn bread, French or Italian bread, and ciabatta into 1-inch cubes. Lay all bread on baking sheets and leave on counter to completely dry out.
When ready to make dressing, preheat oven to 375°F. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Throw in onion and celery, and stir 4 to 5 minutes, until soft.
Pour in chicken broth, then add parsley, basil, thyme, and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and let cook another couple minutes, then turn off heat.
Combine all dried bread cubes in a huge bowl. Spoon broth mixture over top using a ladle. Keep adding broth mixture, tossing as you go, until it’s all mixed in.
Add more salt and pepper, toss it around, and taste to check seasoning. If you prefer moister dressing, splash in a little more broth until it reaches a consistency you like. Pile dressing into a large casserole dish. Bake, uncovered, until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot.
You'll also love
- Slow-Cooker Cornbread Dressing 4.8/5 (19 Votes)
- Southern Style Turnip Greens 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Pork Stew 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Bacon & Balsamic Glazed Sugar Snap... 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Southern White Gravy 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Mom's Molasses Applesauce Cookies 4.1/5 (16 Votes)
- Deviled Eggs with Crispy Shallot... 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Southern Candied Sweet Potatoes 3.9/5 (10 Votes)