Stuffing with Sage & Chives
Savory stuffing is perfect anytime of the year. This recipe cooks in a casserole dish, but can easily be used to stuff the bird. The sage gives it a traditional flavor.
- 1 spray cooking spray
- 12 slices whole wheat bread, or white bread, preferably day-old, cubed*
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons light butter
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 cups canned chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chives, fresh, chopped
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 55mins
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 4-quart shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
Arrange bread cubes on a large ungreased baking sheet in a single layer (use 2 baking sheets if there’s not enough room). Bake until lightly toasted, about 8 to 10 minutes. About halfway through the cooking time, toss them with a spatula so they dry out evenly. Remove bread from oven and set aside; leave oven set to 350ºF.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil and butter together for 1 to 2 minutes. Add onion and celery; sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Add thyme, sage, salt and pepper; stir to coat. Cook until herbs are fragrant, about 1 minute.
Transfer onion mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add bread, broth and chives; toss to combine. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish and cover with foil; bake 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is golden brown, 15 minutes more.
Yields about 1 cup per serving.
Leave the bread bag open and somewhat uncovered for 1 to 2 days (at room temperature) before making the recipe.
You can make this stuffing in advance and bake it just before serving. The stuffing will last up to 3 days in the refrigerator or 3 months in the freezer. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before baking as directed.
You'll also love
- Halloween Ghosts & Pumpkins 4.5/5 (42 Votes)
- Hawaiian Marinated Steak 4.4/5 (51 Votes)
- Deviled Easter Eggs 4.4/5 (44 Votes)
- Hot Onion & Cheese Soufflé Dip 4.4/5 (51 Votes)
- Antipasto Pasta Salad, from Cook's... 4.3/5 (64 Votes)
- EASY DIRTY RICE 4.6/5 (30 Votes)
- Healthy Baked Sweet Potatoes 4.4/5 (45 Votes)
- Stuffing Muffins 4.5/5 (31 Votes)