Southern Candied Sweet Potatoes
Candied sweet potatoes are a traditional Southern side dish that's a holiday and potluck favorite. Especially good with baked ham or turkey and the other fixins'.
- 6 to 8 medium red sweet potatoes (I had 9 long, skinny ones), peeled and cut into chunks or thick slices
- 1 stick salted butter, 1/2 cup
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
Peel and chop potatoes as desired; then rinse and drain well in a colander. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
Cut butter in chunks and melt in a large skillet (that has a cover) over medium heat. Add potatoes and stir to coat in the butter. Pour the sugar mixture over the potatoes and stir until coated well.
Cover the skillet and cook over medium heat for 30-40 minutes, or until largest potato pieces are tender, stirring occasionally. (I use a toothpick to check for doneness.)
Remove from heat, remove cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving. Transfer to a serving dish and spoon sauce over top of the potatoes and serve.
You'll also love
- Sweet Potato Casserole 4.7/5 (47 Votes)
- Tequila Lime Sauce 3.8/5 (21 Votes)
- Sweet Smoked Pork Ribs 4/5 (8 Votes)
- Lemon-Basil Granita 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Kalua-Style Pork 4/5 (8 Votes)
- Carlos O'Kelly's Chile Con Queso 3.9/5 (55 Votes)
- Ube Pies (Purple Yam or Purple... 3.9/5 (22 Votes)
- Jamie Oliver's Oatmeal Raisin... 4/5 (8 Votes)