Try something new this year for Thanksgiving with this delicious Chestnut Stuffing recipe! Goes great with your favorite turkey recipes, and don't forget the cranberry sauce!
- 6 cups homemade-style white bread, day-old, torn bite-size pieces
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh savory leaves, minced
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 pound fresh chestnuts, shelled and peeled, chopped coarse, or 3/4 pound vacuum-packed whole chestnuts, chopped coarse
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
With a sharp knife cut an X on the round side of each chestnut. Spread the chestnuts in one layer in a jelly-roll pan, add 1/4 cup water, and bake the chestnuts in a preheated 450°F oven for 10 minutes, or until the shells open. Remove the chestnuts, a handful at a time, and shell and peel them while they are still hot.
Reheat the oven to 325°F.
In a shallow baking pan arrange the bread pieces in one layer, bake them in the oven, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until they are golden, and transfer them to a large bowl.
In a large skillet cook the onions, the celery, the sage, the thyme, the rosemary, and the savory in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, add the chestnuts, and cook the mixture, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the vegetable mixture to the bread pieces, tossing the mixture well, stir in the parsley and salt and pepper to taste, and let the stuffing cool completely.
The stuffing may be made 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled. (To prevent bacterial growth do not stuff turkey cavities in advance.) Makes enough to stuff a 12- to 14-pound turkey with extra to bake on the side.
You'll also love
- Longhorn Steakhouse Mac & Cheese 3.7/5 (19 Votes)
- Chicken Liver Pâté with Green... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Perfect French Fries (Pioneer... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Candy Apple Pie 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Moroccan-Spiced Roasted Vegetables... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Apple Ginger and Orange Stuffing 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Celery Sausage Dressing 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Oyster Dressing 0/5 (0 Votes)