Southern White Gravy
If you're having a Southern-inspired Thanksgiving, you may not want brown gravy on your turkey. This white gravy recipe is delicious and easy!
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Approximately 2 cups milk (vitamin D milk, not skim, fat-free, fat-less, or other, and nothing heavier, it won’t work.)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 15mins
Melt butter over low heat in a small saucepan. Add flour and combine. Add ¼ teaspoon salt and around 10 grinds pepper.
Stir until the flower is about the color of peanut butter and smells nutty. Add ½ of the milk and increase heat to medium.
Allow to come to a simmer, stirring constantly to avoid sticking. On the first run, the gravy is likely to nearly seize, be ready with more milk.
Add milk by quarter or half cups until gravy has thickened considerably. If using a whisk you’ll know the gravy is ready when drawing the whisk through the gravy leaves “tracks” from the wires that remain visible for at least 5 seconds.
Add at least 10 more grinds pepper and another pinch of salt, to taste.
You'll also love
- Red Velvet Heart Cake (Valentine) 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Grilled Salmon with Avocado Salsa 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Cheesy Vegan Roasted Cauliflower 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Turkey Cupcakes 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Herbed Apricot-Pecan Stuffing 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Challah Stuffing with Fennel &... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Smoky Turkey Gravy 4.5/5 (13 Votes)