Creamy Potato Soup with Sour Cream, Bacon and Chives
Need some comfort food? Make this delicious potato soup. Topped with bacon bits, sour cream, cheddar cheese and chives and you’ll have a new family favorite.
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 pounds unpeeled russet or baking potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from barefeetinthekitchen.com
In a large pot, cook bacon over medium-low heat until crisp, about 3 minutes per side. Remove bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate, break into small pieces and set aside.
Drain from the pot all but 2 tablespoons fat. Add onion and increase heat to medium. Cook until golden, about 12 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 more minute.
Add potatoes and broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
With an immersion blender, purée soup until chunky-smooth (or purée in batches in a food processor fitted with knife blade). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve hot, in bowls, topped with bacon bits, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and chives.
You'll also love
- Mini Corn Dogs (Unfried, to boot!) 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Cream of Broccoli Soup with Cheese 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Mario Batali's Green Chile Pork... 4.2/5 (35 Votes)
- Savory Turkey Injection Sauce 4.2/5 (48 Votes)
- Bourbon Glazed Smoke Pork Chops 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Jen's Potato and Cheese Pierogi 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Bacon Wrapped Apple... 4.4/5 (21 Votes)
- Almond Crumble Cherry Pie 4.5/5 (21 Votes)