Potato-Leek Soup with Mini Pierogi
Top this potato leek soup with crispy bacon and pierogi for a hearty treat. It’s everything you want in a creamy potato-leek combo with tasty bonuses!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bunch leeks, white and light green parts only, rinsed well, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 russet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 cups water
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 12 frozen mini pierogi
- Fresh chives, chopped, for garnish
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Melt butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leeks and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until well coated, about 2 minutes.
Add water, chicken broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are very tender, 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
Working in 2 or 3 batches, purée the soup in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a clean pot and stir in the cream; season with salt and pepper. Keep warm over low heat.
Meanwhile, cook bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring, until crisp, about 7 minutes. Transfer to paper towels using a slotted spoon. Add the pierogi to the skillet and cook, flipping halfway through, until golden brown and warmed through, about 5 minutes.
Top each serving of soup with pierogi, bacon and chives.
You'll also love
- Drunken Cherry Chocolate Cake 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Hanger Steak & Bacon Sandwich With... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Asparagus Pasta Salad with Italian... 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Smoky Bacon BBQ Deviled Eggs 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Farmer's Fridge Mediterranean... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Fries 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Winter Lentil Soup 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Cream of Chicken and Wild Rice Soup 4.5/5 (11 Votes)