Kerala Style Egg & Potato Curry
- 1 . Hard boiled eggs – 5
- 2 . Potato – 1 small-medium, cooked & cut into cubes
- 3 . Onion – 1 big, finely sliced
- Green chilli – 4 -5, slit lengthwise
- Ginger & garlic paste – 1 1/2 tsp, each
- 4 . Coriander powder – 1 1/2 – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Fennel powder (perumjeerakam podichathu) – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala – a pinch
- 5 . Thick coconut milk – 2 cups ( refer notes)
- Cashew paste – Optional (refer notes)
- 6 . Coconut oil
- Curry leaves
Adapted from mariasmenu.com
Heat oil in a pan&add finely sliced onions&salt. When onion becomes golden brown color, add green chilli&ginger garlic paste. Fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the masala powders&a 1/2 tsp of oil&fry for 3 minutes. Add cooked potatoes&mix well. Add thick coconut milk&bring to boil. Reduce flame to lowest&add hard boiled eggs&cook till the gravy becomes thick, say around 5 mins. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with palappam, kallappam, puttu&chappathi.
For veg variation: You can use veggies like carrot, beans, cauliflower, green peas etc; Cook the vegetables first&add it along with the potato. Rest of the recipe is same.
Notes: I used potatoes&carrot also for this curry. We need loads of “chaaru” (gravy), so I’ve used 2 cups of coconut milk, you can adjust the qty to suit your taste. Also if you dont prefer a creamy curry, you can use medium thick coconut milk instead of thick coconut milk. To enhance taste&also give a rich flavor, you can add cashew paste also. Mix the cashew paste in coconut milk&add to the curry. To make cashew paste, soak a small handful of cashews in hot water for 5-7 mins&grind them to a smooth paste.