Tibetan Potato Curry
- 6 cups potatoes ( avoid russet potatoes as they don't hold up well)
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 4 peeled garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 -2 dried hot peppers, left whole water, as needed
Precook the potatoes in water (or in the microwave) until almost, but not quite, done. Drain thoroughly.
While the potatoes are cooking, saute the fenugreek seed in the oil on medium heat until light brown, being careful not to burn them Add the onion and continue cooking for five minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook another five minutes. Add the spices and saute briefly to release their flavors. Add the tomato, the dried whole peppers, and a little water. Simmer until the flavors meld together, about 30 minutes.
Gently add the potatoes, stir, and reduce heat. Cook until potatoes are tender, adding water if the sauce gets too dry. If the sauce is too runny, simply crush one of the potatoes to thicken it.