Grilled Apple, Bacon and Cheddar Sandwiches with Roasted Red Onion Mayo
The sandwich is adapted from Paula Deen recipe on foodnetwork.com
- Roasted red onion mayo (see recipe)
- 16 slices (1/2-inch-thick) sourdough, multigrain or another hearty bread
- 16 slices cheddar cheese
- 16 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked crisp
- 4 Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced thin
- ROASTED RED ONION MAYO
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
Adapted from jsonline.com
Make roasted red onion mayo.
To make sandwiches: Preheat a seasoned grill pan or griddle over medium heat.
Assemble this sandwich just as you would a traditional grilled cheese sandwich: spread 1 slice of bread with some red onion mayo, then top with 1 slice cheddar, the bacon, the apple slices (about half an apple per sandwich), then 1 more slice of cheddar, finishing with another mayo-slathered slice of bread. Butter outsides of bread and transfer to the hot grill.
Grill about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove to a cutting board and cut the sandwich in half on the diagonal to serve.
Roasted red onion mayo
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
On a small rimmed baking sheet, toss the red onion, olive oil, salt and pepper together.
Roast in preheated oven 25 to 30 minutes, until onion is very soft, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and let cool. Transfer to a food processor and buzz until finely chopped. Add mayo and pulse until smooth and combined.
You'll also love
- Onion Bombs 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- Maple-Glazed Carrots 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- Key Lime and White Biscotti 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Polish Sausage Soup 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- Apple Slices 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- RANCH BACON & EGG SALAD SANDWICHES 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- Grilled rib-eye with stuffed... 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- Creamed Corn with Bacon and Leeks 4.7/5 (13 Votes)