Grilled Venison Loin with Horseradish Cream Sauce
- For the venison loin:
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds venison loin, trimmed of all silver skin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, savory, and/or parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- For the horseradish cream sauce:
- 1 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated or prepared horseradish, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives or parsley
- Juice and zest from 1 lemon, preferably organic
- Salt to taste
Grill the venison loin:
Season the meat with the salt and pepper. In a small bowl, mix the herbs with the oil and spread all over the meat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or up to overnight.
Make a hot fire in a charcoal grill or set a gas grill on high heat.
Grill the meat, without moving it, until nicely browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Then rotate the venison 90° and leave it for just a minute to make grill marks. Flip the loin and cook for 4 to 5 minutes more, again rotating the venison if desired. You want to aim for a good, deeply charred outside but a nice and rare inside. This ought to happen after just 10 minutes total cooking. Transfer to a cutting board and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes while you make the sauce.
Make the horseradish cream sauce:
Mix the crème fraîche, horseradish, chives, lemon juice, and zest together in a small bowl, and season with salt.
To serve the venison loin
Thinly slice the loin against the grain, pile it onto plates or a platter, and serve with the horseradish cream sauce.
You'll also love
- Grilled rib-eye with stuffed... 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- Creamed Corn with Bacon and Leeks 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Holy Mole Pork... 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Gooseberry Smoothie Recipe 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Horseradish Sauce 4.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Cherry Chipotle Duck Breast Skewers 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Wild Rice Venison Stew 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Venison Vegetable Soup 4.4/5 (16 Votes)