Slow Cooker Braised Beef Short Ribs
Deeply flavored, succulent, fall-off-the-bone tender beef short ribs braised in red wine make for a divine slow-cooked meal.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds beef short ribs, bone-in
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, cut into large chunks
- 2 large carrots, cut into large chunks
- 2 stalks celery, leaves on
- 2 cups sodium-free beef stock
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups red wine or beef stock
Adapted from urbansacredgarden.com
Pour flour, salt and pepper into a large plastic bag. Place ribs in the bag, a few pieces at a time, close bag and shake to coat thoroughly with flour mixture.
In a large skillet over medium high heat bring oil to high temperature. Place ribs in hot oil in batches, as they will fit, cooking each side for about 5 minutes each until brown.
While ribs are searing, layer bottom of slow cooker with onions, carrots and celery. When ribs are finished cooking layer them on top of vegetables. Once all ribs are cooked reduce skillet heat to medium. Add red wine to pan and whisk to de-glaze any remaining flour mixture in the pan.
Add remaining ingredients to pan: beef stock, apple cider, Worcestershire, garlic, brown sugar, paprika, black pepper and red pepper flake. Cook until bubbling for two minutes. Stir consistently. Pour liquid mixture over vegetables and ribs. Cover slow cooker and set to cook for 6-8 hours depending on your slow cooker’s settings. Serve warm. Enjoy!
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (890 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (896 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (706 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (685 Votes)
- Butternut Squash, Ricotta &... 4.5/5 (494 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Crock Pot Ravioli Casserole 4.5/5 (475 Votes)