Black-Eyed Pea Fritters
Black-eyed peas are the main ingredient in these delicious fritters! Soak the beans overnight so they are soft and tender, to make the best fritter batter.
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas, picked-through and rinsed (or two 15-ounce cans peas, drained and rinsed)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil, for panfrying
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 750mins
If using dry beans, cover the beans with water in a bowl, and soak overnight in a cool or refrigerated place.
After draining the beans, peel off the outer skins. In a food processor, pulse beans until they are finely pureed. Place pureed beans in a bowl. In the same food processor, add the onion, garlic, parsley, apple cider vinegar and water; process until finely blended. Stir the onion mixture, spices, cornmeal and flour into the bean puree. Put the mixture into the refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Using a tablespoon, drop the mixture into the oil, and fry on each side until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on
Per serving: 160 calories, 29g carbohydrate, Omg cholesterol, 19 fat, 109 protein, 175mg sodium.
You'll also love
- White Strawberry Lemon Sangria 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Blueberry Crumble Cheesecake Bars 4.3/5 (49 Votes)
- Cheese & Rosemary Shortbread Crisps 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Chicken & Gnocchi Soup (Copycat... 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Japanese Onion Soup 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Minestrone Soup 4.5/5 (31 Votes)
- Roasted Veggie and Black Bean... 4.4/5 (38 Votes)
- Pumpkin Spice Roasted Chickpeas 4.8/5 (8 Votes)