Southern Style Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
Although this BBQ chicken is made in a slow cooker, it is just as tender, flavorful, and juicy as the BBQ pork or chicken that is cooked low and slow on the grill.
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders
- seasoning salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder to taste
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 16-oz. jar of your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1/4-1/2 cup cornstarch
- 6 hamburger buns
- 2 cups coleslaw
Adapted from cocktailswithmom.com
Season your chicken breasts with seasoning salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Lay the chicken breasts on the bottom of the slow cooker; top with chopped onion. Pour the BBQ sauce on top of the chicken and onion. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
One hour before the chicken is done cooking, add the cornstarch to the slow cooker. (If you want a thicker sauce, add 1/2 cup of cornstarch.) Stir the cornstarch into the BBQ sauce; return the lid and cook for another hour.
Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place in a large bowl. Shred the chicken with two forks. (The chicken will be extremely tender, so it will almost fall apart itself.) Toast the hamburger buns. Place some of the BBQ chicken on a toasted bun and top with coleslaw. Enjoy!
You'll also love
- Creamy Cajun Chicken Alfredo 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Salisbury Steaks with Onion Gravy 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- BBQ-Style Chicken Thighs 4.4/5 (31 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Buffalo Chicken... 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- BBQ Chicken Casserole 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- French Onion Chicken Sandwiches 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Low Carb Southern Fried Chicken 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Poached Chicken Salad Sandwiches 4.5/5 (14 Votes)