French Onion Chicken Sandwiches
it's actually no more complicated than making grilled chicken sandwiches. The onions can be caramelized up to three days in advance and just kept in the fridge until the party starts, when you can gently reheat them in either a microwave or a small pan on the grill. Grill up your chicken, then top it with Swiss cheese and the onions for a hearty sandwich that tastes like soup!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved crosswise and pounded to 1-inch thickness, if necessary
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 cups baby spinach
In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sugar; cook 25 minutes or until onions are deeply caramelized, stirring frequently. This step can be done up to 3 days in advance. Re-warm onions in microwave or in a small pan on grill before proceeding.
Preheat grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. Spray chicken with nonstick spray. Transfer chicken to hot grill rack; cover and cook 10 minutes or until chicken loses its pink color throughout and internal temperature reaches 160º, turning once.
Place cheese slices on chicken pieces. Cover and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown. Build sandwiches using hamburger buns, spinach, chicken and caramelized onions.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Lime & Mint Scallops with Red Onion 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Mahogany Glazed Chicken 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Steak Fajita Sandwich with... 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Swirly Dogs from your Bread Machine 4.2/5 (28 Votes)
- Healthy Curried Chicken Salad... 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- BBQ Shredded Chicken Sandwiches 4.4/5 (18 Votes)