Salisbury Steaks with Onion Gravy
Cube steaks recently grown in popularity, because they are inexpensive and they cook very quickly in a skillet. I created this recipe one work night, when I was tired and hungry. The sauce turned out to be really flavorful, and the cooked onions gave a lot of extra flavor to this quick dinner. I served this over homemade mashed potatoes (though rice or egg noodles would work well. In less then 30 minutes, dinner was served. My husband loved it so much, that he requested it the very next night.
- 2 cube steaks
- 1 medium sized onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- salt &amp; pepper
- 1 cup beef broth (or stock)
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Pat each steak dry, with a paper towel and season with coarse salt &amp; pepper.
Heat a skillet on medium-high with about 2 teaspoons of olive (or vegetable) oil, until shimmering and hot.
Sear the steaks until golden brown-- about 2-3 minutes. Turn over and cook the same way.
Remove from the skillet, onto a plate and cover with foil. I like to keep my steaks in a warm oven. There should be a lot of brown fond (crust) on the bottom of the pan; that&#39;s where all the flavor for the sauce comes from.
Add a little more olive oil, then add the onion.
Cook until soft and slightly golden-- 3-5 minutes.
Add the flour, and stir to cook for about 2 minutes.
Add the beef stock, stirring all the while, and then the Worcestershire sauce.
Bring to a simmer until nicely thickened. If the sauce is too thick, add a dash more beef stock.
Return the steaks, and their natural juices, to the pan and heat for about 1 more minutes.
Serve over mashed potatoes (or rice or egg noodles).
You'll also love
- Hot Pink Candy Apples 4.6/5 (53 Votes)
- Garlic Oven Roasted Potatoes 4/5 (147 Votes)
- Easy Weeknight Chicken Enchiladas:... 4.2/5 (57 Votes)
- Crock Pot Chicken Stew 4.3/5 (36 Votes)
- Christmas Magic Cookie Bars 4.4/5 (27 Votes)
- Roasted Cheddar Broccoli 4.4/5 (27 Votes)
- Bacon and Onion Foil Packet... 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Grilled Hamburger Steaks with... 4.6/5 (18 Votes)