Trisha Yearwood's Potato-Beef Casserole
Comfort food at its finest, this beef and potato casserole is great for your midweek dinner slump. Potatoes, beef and a creamy cheese sauce, what else do you need?
- 3 pounds red potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Vegetable oil, to coat pan
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups grated sharp Cheddar
- 1/2 cup unseasoned dry breadcrumbs
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 50mins
Place the potatoes in a large saucepan with water to cover by 1 inch.
Add a generous pinch of salt and cook for 15 minutes, or until tender.
Potatoes cook quickly.
Test often for tenderness and don't overcook them.
Alternatively, cook the potatoes in a pressure cooker for 5 minutes, releasing the pressure immediately to prevent overcooking.
Drain the potatoes and arrange them in a 6- by 9- by 2-inch casserole dish.
In a large skillet, add a little oil to coat the pan.
Combine the beef and onion and cook together over medium heat until the beef is browned and the onion softened, about 10 minutes.
Drain excess fat.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and whisk in the flour to make a roux.
Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and the flour turns light brown in color.
Gradually whisk in the milk and continue to stir while cooking over medium heat.
When the mixture thickens, season with salt and pepper, then stir in the cheese and browned beef and onions.
Pour the ground beef mixture over the potatoes and bake the casserole for 20 minutes, until heated through and bubbling.
Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top of the casserole and bake until the crumbs are toasted, about 5 minutes longer.
You'll also love
- Crispy Cheddar Chicken 4.3/5 (236 Votes)
- Home-Style Ground Beef Casserole 4.3/5 (227 Votes)
- Peanut Butter Chews 4.3/5 (235 Votes)
- Walking Taco Casserole 3.9/5 (263 Votes)
- German Potato Salad Heirloom Recipe 4.4/5 (220 Votes)
- Sliced Baked Potatoes 4.2/5 (237 Votes)
- Mexican Breakfast Casserole 4.4/5 (200 Votes)