Switch it up on taco night with this simple and delicious taco casserole! Casserole features layers of taco shells, ground beef, cheese and onions!
- 1 pound lean ground beef (I used 93/7)
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup taco sauce (I used Taco Bell, medium)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles, undrained
- 1 (1.25-ounce) packet dry taco seasoning mix (I used Taco Bell)
- 1 (12-count) box hard taco shells, broken and divided
- 2 to 3 cups Mexican blend cheese or cheddar cheese, shredded
- Sour cream, jalapenos, seeded and diced tomato, green onions, or black olives, for serving
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 50mins
Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease an 11×7-inch baking dish.
In a medium skillet over medium/medium-high heat, brown the ground beef and onion together; drain, if needed. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute.
Stir in the dry taco seasoning, taco sauce, water, and undrained green chiles. Cook over medium heat until almost all the liquid has been cooked out.
Layer half the broken shells on the bottom of the baking dish; cover with half of the meat mixture, then 1 cup of cheese on top. Repeat layers with the remaining ingredients (shells, meat, cheese). Top with sliced jalapenos or black olives, if desired.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or bubbly around the edges and cheese is melted.
Serve hot with garnishes of choice. Refried beans are a great side dish with this.
You'll also love
- Gumbo Fried Rice 4.5/5 (71 Votes)
- Avocado Chicken Enchiladas 4.5/5 (71 Votes)
- Loaded Potato and Buffalo Chicken... 4.4/5 (74 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheesy Party Potatoes 4.4/5 (72 Votes)
- Shrimp Tacos 4.5/5 (66 Votes)
- Taco Casserole 4.4/5 (64 Votes)
- Mexican Cornbread Casserole 4.6/5 (37 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Braised Brisket,... 5/5 (1 Votes)