Mexican Breakfast Casserole
I LOVE this Mexican Breakfast Casserole for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner! Chorizo, ground turkey, bell peppers, spinach and 3 kinds of cheeses are just a few of the ingredients that make it so good. Enjoy!
- 3 ounces uncooked chorizo (spicy Mexican sausage)
- 6 ounces ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated reduced-fat swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup grated reduced-fat extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated reduced-fat jalapeno cheddar cheese
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a 9" by 13" baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place the bread cubes in a single layer in the bottom of the pan.
Whisk the eggs, milk, ground mustard, salt, and black pepper together, set aside.
In a skillet, brown the chorizo and ground turkey until cooked through then add the onion and bell peppers and saute until tender. Add garlic and saute a minute more and then add spinach and cook just until spinach wilts.
Layer half of the meat and veggie mixture over the bread, then half of the egg mixture, then half of the cheeses. Repeat the layers once more until all ingredients have been used.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until cooked through, uncovering for the last 5-10 minutes so the cheese will brown slightly on top. Enjoy!