Causa de atún - Tuna Fish Potato Loaf
Generally speaking, a causa is a cold dish made with a layer of the aforementioned potato mash, a layer of filling, and another layer of mash. The original version is called causa limeña and it’s filled with pulled chicken, mayo and avocado. These days you can find thousands of versions available, with different meats (or veggies) in the filling and different tubers in the mash. There’s a restaurant in Lima called Mi Causa which serves a lot of versions, including one with German sausages. Some cooks also roll their causas sushi-style for a more interesting presentation.
- 1 1/2 kg potatoes
- 1 small red onion
- 1 450 gr can of tuna in oil
- 5 limes
- 3 teaspoons powdered yellow chili or any chili blended with a bit of oil into a paste, to taste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 eggs
- black olives (optional)
- chopped coriander or parsley (optional)
Boil the potatoes with the skin on in salted water until tender. Peel them and mash them while still hot. Let the mash cool down.
In the meantime, chop the onion and place it in a bowl with water.
Boil the eggs and slice them.
Mix the mash with the juice of 3 limes, the chilli and salt. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Drain the onion, drain the tuna, and mix both with the juice of 2 limes.
Lightly oil a baking dish or baking tray with a mousse ring on top. Using a spoon or spatula, spread half of the mash and even it out.
Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on top of the mash.
Slice the avocadoes and arrange them on top.
Spread the tuna mix on top.
Spread the rest of the mash and even it out.
Spread another thin layer of mayonnaise and arrange the boiled egg slices. If using olives, scatter them around the egg slices.
If using herbs, sprinkle them on top.
You'll also love
- Strawberry Bread 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Peachy Dessert 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- ZUCCHINI-YELLOW SQUASH BAKE 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Green Beans with Balsamic-Shallot... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Sesame-Crusted Ahi Tuna With... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Bean-and-Fish Tacos 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Pork chop, apple and sweet potato... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Open-Faced Tuna and Artichoke Melt 4.3/5 (3 Votes)