Vegan Hungarian Eggplant
- 1 large eggplant, chopped into large chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
- 2 medium-size sweet peppers
- 1 large tomato
- 4 small potatoes, chopped in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup red wine (optional*)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 4 sprigs fresh marjoram, more to garnish
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- If you choose not to use wine, simply add an extra cup of vegetable broth to the recipe
1.Pre-heat the oven to 300 F.
2.In a large stove- and oven-safe pot, saute the onions and garlic.
3.When the onions start to look translucent, toss in the eggplant and the peppers allow it to brown a little; add the paprika and toss through; add the potatoes, tomatoes, marjoram, wine and broth, bring to a simmer.
4.Transfer to the oven to braise uncovered for about 45 minutes.
5.Add salt an pepper to taste; garnish with chopped marjoram.