Faux Coconut Milk Slow-Cooker Chicken Curry
Faux Coconut Milk Slow-Cooker Chicken Curry combines the flavors of chicken coconut curry without actually using coconut milk. This recipe cooks in your slow-cooker so that dinner will be ready when you get home from work. Serve this dish with fragrant white or brown rice, quinoa if you'd like to make this healthier, or eat it on its own in a bowl like it's soup.
- FAUX COCONUT MILK:
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1.5-pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1.5-pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups small red potatoes, scrubbed, halved or quartered
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, cut into 1/4 inch thick chunks on the bias
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cooking apple, cut into big chunks so they do not dissolve
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon instant low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled, minced or grated
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 to 3/8 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup raisins, optional or 1/4 cup currants, optional
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped, optional
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 265mins
Adapted from geniuskitchen.com
In a large bowl or plastic bag combine flour, curry powder, cumin, and salt. Add chicken cubes in three parts and shake to coat. Set aside.
Combine potatoes, carrots, apple, onion, garlic, jalapeno peppers, ginger, and chicken bouillon in the slow-cooker. Top with chicken. Pour water over chicken mixture.
Cover slow-cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
To make faux coconut milk combine cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of evaporated milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk to mix, removing all lumps. Add remaining milk and cook just until milk thickens slightly. Remove from heat and add extract.
About 15 minutes before serving, turn slow-cooker to the high setting if not already there. Stir faux coconut milk into the chicken mixture. Recover cook for 15 minutes more.
Serve over hot cooked rice. Sprinkle with nuts and raisins if desired.
You'll also love
- Cornmeal Soup 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Paleo Bread Crumbs 5/5 (2 Votes)
- ORANGE ICE CREAM SANDWICHES 5/5 (2 Votes)
- ROSEMARY-GARLIC WHITE BEAN SPREAD 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Mini Pizza Tacos 4.5/5 (43 Votes)
- Garden Greens Pizza 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Black Bean Spareribs 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Almond Bacon Cheese Crostini Recipe 5/5 (2 Votes)