Crispy Chicken with Orange Peel
An all time favorite ...
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 2 oranges, peel only, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 egg white
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 6 dried red hot pepper (optional ...or reduce quantity for a milder taste)
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 4 scallions including tops
- 20 snow peas, washed
- 8 chicken breast half, boneless - cut in 1 inch chunks
1 Make the sauce:
Mix sugar, vinegar, catsup, soy sauce, and wine in a sauce pan. Add hot peppers and simmer over medium heat until reduced to the consistency of syrup. As sauce thickens, watch closely so it does not caramelize.
Prepare the chicken: Separate egg whites and place in a bowl. Place the cornstarch in another large bowl. Cut chicken into chunks about 1 inch wide by 1 1/2 inches long. Dredge in the egg white and then in cornstarch until well coated.
3 Deep fry the chicken:
Fill a wok, deep fryer, or large pot about 1/3 full of oil, preferably peanut oil. Heat oil to about 375 degrees F. Working in batches suitable for the fryer, deep fry the chicken and orange peal until light brown. Keep warm in a 200 degree F oven until all the chicken is cooked.
Place the fried chicken in a large bowl. Add the sauce and mix well. Do not saturate the chicken with sauce. A light coating is ideal. Transfer the coated chicken to a serving platter and garnish with thinly sliced scallions and snow peas. Serve at once!
You'll also love
- Frontega Chicken Panini - Copycat... 3.8/5 (248 Votes)
- Chunky Monkey Morning Oats 4.2/5 (26 Votes)
- Orange Chocolate Praline Layer Cake 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Baked Chicken Piccata 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Orange Cranberry Muffins 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Polynesian Honey-Pineapple Chicken 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Sriracha Sweet and Spicy Chicken... 4.7/5 (9 Votes)