Jalapeño Popper Potato Gratin
All the great flavor of jalapeño poppers within the scrumptiousness of a potato gratin. Serve as a zippy and spicy side dish any time of the year or pair with a lightly dressed side salad for a full meal that everyone in your family is going to love. Rich, creamy, with a punch of spice, this recipe is the perfect combination of all the zesty flavors you crave packed into one yummy dish.
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour or rice flour for gluten-free meal
- 2 cups milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 jalapeños, thinly sliced
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from closetcooking.com
Cook the bacon, set aside on paper towels to drain and crumble when cool.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, cook until frothy, sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, until a light golden brown.
Mix in the milk and simmer, stirring, until it starts to thicken before adding the cheese, cooking until melted and seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Spread some of the cheese sauce in the bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan topped with layers of potatoes, cheese sauce, bacon and sliced jalapenos all finally topped with the cheddar cheese.
Bake in a preheated 350°F oven until the potatoes are tender, the sides are bubbling and the cheese on top is a light golden brown, about 45 minutes.
Top with panko breadcrumbs for a crispy topping.
Assemble the gratin the day before and just bake on the day of.
You'll also love
- Breakfast Pork Chops 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Stuffed Bell Peppers 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Triple Berry Cheesecake Cobbler 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Savory Spanish Potato Salad 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Antipasto Salad 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Hash 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Indian Cauliflower Fritters 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Dr. Pepper Smoked Brisket 3.9/5 (109 Votes)