Antipasto (Italian – before the meal) simply refers to the dish that precedes all the others to come. It should be colorful allowing the senses to awaken and gets the palate ready for the meal that follows. It is there to whet the appetite and not be too filling.
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, use white balsamic vinegar if you have it available
- 1 clove garlic, mashed into a paste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Romaine lettuce, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- Handful basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- Handful Italian parsley leaves
- 1 whole roasted red or yellow pepper, sliced
- Marinated artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- Handful pitted black olives, rinsed and sliced
- Roasted tomatoes
- Fresh mozzarella, drained and torn into big bite pieces
- Sliced salami
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 20mins
In a medium bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, garlic and honey until well combined. In a thin stream while whisking pour olive oil into mixture until it emulsifies.
In a large bowl combine lettuce, garbanzo beans, basil and parsley leaves. Pour half the vinaigrette over lettuce mixture and toss to coat well. Spread lettuce mixture out onto a large platter. Scatter roasted peppers, artichoke hearts, olives, roasted tomatoes, mozzarella, and salami on top of lettuce. Drizzle remaining dressing over salad and season with freshly ground black pepper.