Breakfast Pork Chops
Brine these pork chops in vinegar, brown sugar, and cayenne the night before cooking to seal in flavor. Serve them with all of your favorite breakfast and brunch side dishes like hash browns, cornmeal pancakes, and, of course, freshly brewed coffee.
Photograph by Con Poulos
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- Kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 bone-in pork chops (1 inch thick; about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Brine the pork chops the night before: Combine 3 cups hot water, the vinegar, brown sugar, 1/4 cup salt, the garlic, sage and cayenne in a large bowl, stirring until the sugar and salt dissolve; let cool to room temperature. Submerge the pork chops in the brine, cover and refrigerate overnight.
Remove the pork from the brine and pat dry. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the pork chops and cook until browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side (reduce the heat, if necessary). Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and pork chops; transfer to the plate.
Sprinkle the flour over the drippings in the skillet and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until lightly golden, about 45 seconds. Add the chicken broth and scrape up any browned bits; switch to a whisk and cook, whisking, until the sauce begins to thicken, about 2 minutes. Add the milk, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to taste and simmer 1 minute. Return the pork chops to the skillet along with any juices from the plate and heat through, about 2 minutes.
You'll also love
- Instant Pot Chicken & Noodles 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Stuffed Bell Peppers 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Triple Berry Cheesecake Cobbler 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Sweet Noodle Kugel, Lokshen Kugel 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Pomegranate Habanero Beef 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Pulled Pork Nachos 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Souffléed Omelet with Goat... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Shiitake & Roasted Red Pepper Puff... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)