Iron Skillet Cornbread
OMG this is the best cornbread! Hearty and savory, with whole corn, chiles and cheese, serve warm from the oven with some honey butter.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fine grind cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups canned creamed corn, from one 15-ounce can
- 1 4.5-ounce can mild green chiles, drained, chopped
- 1 1/2 ounces mild white cheddar, grated, about 1/2 cup
- 1 1/2 ounces Monterey Jack, grated, about 1/2 cup
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, 1 1/2 sticks, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- A 10-inch cast-iron skillet (measured from the rim)
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Place rack in middle of oven. Set skillet on a rimmed baking sheet, place on rack, and preheat oven to 400°.
Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl to combine.
Lightly beat eggs in a medium bowl to blend; whisk in creamed corn, chilis, cheddar, and Monterey Jack.
Mix butter and sugar in a large bowl with a wooden spoon just until butter absorbs sugar but butter is still in small pieces. Add egg mixture and mix until just combined. Mix in dry ingredients until barely incorporated.
Remove skillet from oven and lightly coat with nonstick spray. Scrape in batter (it should sizzle on contact and stay slightly mounded in the center). Bake cornbread until top is golden brown and springs back when gently pressed, 35–45 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
You'll also love
- Southern Skillet Cornbread 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Tiny Tomato Pie 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Bacon + Bell Pepper Quiche (to go) 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Chili Cheese Dog Dip 4/5 (11 Votes)
- Spiced Popcorn with Pecans &... 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Shrimp and Corn Cakes 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Oatmeal-Rye Bread 4/5 (4 Votes)
- Cinnamon Rolls 4.3/5 (3 Votes)