Southern Skillet Cornbread
- 1/4 cup of bacon drippings
- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 2 cups of buttermilk, more or less
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Add the bacon fat to a well seasoned 10-inch cast iron skillet and place the skillet into the oven to melt the fat and heat the skillet. In a bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and swirl the hot fat around to coat the entire skillet.
Pour the fat from the skillet into the cornmeal mixture; stir. Stir in half of the buttermilk and add the egg; add more buttermilk as needed to make a thick but pourable batter. Just fold the ingredients....don't beat the batter. Pour the cornmeal mixture into the hot skillet. Carefully place directly into the oven and bake at 450 degrees for about 20 to 25 minutes.