Chicken Parmesan with Buffalo Mozzarella
Recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil leaves
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, drained and hand-crushed
- Pinch sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless, chicken breasts (about 11/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1 (8-ounce) ball fresh buffalo mozzarella, water drained
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 pound spaghetti pasta, cooked al dente
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from tarathefoodie.blogspot.com
Coat a saute pan with olive oil and place over medium heat. When the oil gets hazy, add the onions, garlic, and bay leaves; cook and stir for 5 minutes until fragrant and soft. Add the olives and some hand-torn basil. Carefully add the tomatoes (nothing splashes like tomatoes), cook and stir until the liquid is cooked down and the sauce is thick, about 15 minutes; season with sugar, salt and pepper. Lower the heat, cover, and keep warm.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Get the ingredients together for the chicken so you have a little assembly line. Put the chicken breasts side by side on a cutting board and lay a piece of plastic wrap over them. Pound the chicken breasts with a flat meat mallet, until they are about 1/2-inch thick. Put the flour in a shallow platter and season with a fair amount of salt and pepper; mix with a fork to distribute evenly. In a wide bowl, combine the eggs and water, beat until frothy. Put the bread crumbs on a plate, season with salt and pepper.
Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high flame in a large oven-proof skillet. Lightly dredge both sides of the chicken cutlets in the seasoned flour, and then dip them in the egg wash to coat completely, letting the excess drip off, then dredge in the bread crumbs. When the oil is nice and hot, add the cutlets and fry for 4 minutes on each side until golden and crusty, turning once.
Ladle the tomato-olive sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with mozzarella, Parmesan, and basil. Bake the Chicken Parmesan for 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly. Serve hot with spaghetti.
You'll also love
- Grilled Cheeseburger Quesadillas 4.3/5 (16 Votes)
- Avocado Toast with Goat Cheese &... 4.3/5 (21 Votes)
- Chicken Florentine Pasta 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Greek-Style Chicken 4.2/5 (16 Votes)
- Balsamic Chicken Thighs 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Foil Packs 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Dutch Oven Chicken Cacciatore 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Chicken Patty Parmesan 4.3/5 (6 Votes)