Dutch Oven Chicken Cacciatore
This classic Italian dish features a full-flavor experience, with a boost of protein, vitamin A, and fiber.This classic Italian dish features a full-flavor experience, with a boost of protein, vitamin A, and fiber.
9 weightwatcher points
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds chicken thighs and/or drumsticks, skinned (8 pieces)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 small carrots, peeled and cut crosswise into thirds
- 3 stalks celery, cut crosswise into quarters
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dry red wine or cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 6 medium plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Spread flour in a shallow dish. Season chicken pieces with the salt and pepper. Dip chicken in the flour, turning to coat evenly and gently shaking off excess.
2.In a 5-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces; cook about 6 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally.
3.Remove chicken from Dutch oven; set aside. Drain off fat, reserving 2 tablespoons in the Dutch oven. Add carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes or just until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
4.Stir in tomato paste. Add broth, wine, and vinegar; bring to boiling. Add tomatoes and thyme. Return chicken to Dutch oven. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 60 to 70 minutes or until chicken and vegetables are tender.
5.To serve, place chicken, vegetables, and cooking juices on a serving platter. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
You'll also love
- Santa Fe Chicken & Rice 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Chicken & Mushroom Alfredo... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Grilled Chicken and Quinoa Burrito... 4.2/5 (8 Votes)
- Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole 4.1/5 (42 Votes)
- Amaretto Almond Chicken 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Knoephla (Dakota... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Heart-Healthy Easy Chicken Stew 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Italian Chicken and Eggplant... 5/5 (1 Votes)