Braised Chicken With Mediterranean Wine Sauce
- 6 chicken legs and thighs - (abt 4 lbs)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves crushed with
- the side of a knife
- 1 cup Chardonnay wine reduction*
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 orange cut 1/4" slices
- 3/4 cup green olives
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
* Available at Williams-Sonoma stores.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
In a large sauteuse pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil until almost smoking. Working in batches, add the chicken, skin-side down, and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking sheet. Set aside.
Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the pan. Reduce the heat to medium, add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the wine reduction and stock and bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up the browned bits from the pan bottom. Return the chicken to the pan and add the orange slices and olives. Spoon some of the sauce over the chicken. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with a knife, 45 to 50 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter and cover loosely with aluminum foil.
Whisk the butter into the sauce, increase the heat to medium-high and cook until the sauce is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve immediately.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Slow-Cooker Chicken Teriyaki 3.8/5 (572 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Pita 4.3/5 (364 Votes)
- Mediterranean Lemon Chicken 4.4/5 (174 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Wraps 4.5/5 (156 Votes)
- Chicken in White Wine 4.5/5 (71 Votes)
- Sweet Honey-Soy Chicken Legs 4.6/5 (55 Votes)
- Cajun Cafe's Bourbon Chicken (From... 4.6/5 (33 Votes)
- Chicken Breasts Dijon 4.5/5 (42 Votes)