Korean Style Braised Chicken in Soy, Lemon, and Ginger Sauce
Flavorful Korean Style Braised Chicken is browned on the stove top and then baked in the oven to make it tender and tasty.
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 1 tablespoons mirin or cooking sake
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs and/or legs (6 pieces)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 tablespoon green onions, whites only
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sake, or mirin
- Cooked rice
Adapted from foodgawker.com
Mix soy sauce, wine, oil and ginger. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar if you like sweet flavors.
Clean chicken. Remove excess fat and poke a few times with your knife. Place chicken in large Ziploc bag with the soy ginger sauce. Massage chicken in the soy ginger sauce and let it marinate for 2 hours at room temperature.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
In a heavy pan or Dutch oven large enough to hold all the chicken in a single layer, heat 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat.
When oil is hot, sear chicken pieces, skin side down for 4 to 5 minutes or more until golden brown. Turn over and brown the other side for another 4 minutes until golden brown. Remove chicken and set aside.
With the pan still hot, add onion slices and lemon slices. Cook until onions have wilted and brown bits on bottom of pan have loosened. 5-7 minutes.
Turn heat off. Place chicken pieces, skin-side up on top of onion mixture. Pour juice of 1/2 lemon and 1 tablespoon of sake or mirin on top.
Transfer pan to oven and bake for 40 – 45 minutes.
Serve on top of rice and sprinkle with the green onion.
You'll also love
- Louisiana Crawfish Etouffee 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Gluten free Crab Cakes 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- One Pot Garlic Parmesan Pasta 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Turkey Sausage with Fennel... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Grilled Leeks with Leek-Tomato... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- CANDIED BACON-WRAPPED PINEAPPLE 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Moroccan Chicken Tagine with... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Italian Braised Chicken with... 4.7/5 (9 Votes)