Grapefruit Cornmeal Cake
Recipe source: Food and Wine | November 2015
This cake is perfumed with grapefruit and topped with a poppy-seed glaze. If there are leftovers, serve wedges for breakfast.
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for greasing
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup medium-grind cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon finely grated grapefruit zest plus 1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
Adapted from foodandwine.com
1. MAKE THE CAKE Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 9-inch cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper and butter the paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the cornmeal, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. In another medium bowl, whisk the melted butter with the eggs, grapefruit zest and grapefruit juice. While whisking constantly, add the butter mixture to the flour mixture in a slow, steady stream. Whisk until well blended. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 40 minutes, until golden and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
3. Transfer the cake to a rack to cool for 10 minutes. Run a sharp paring knife around the edge of the cake, then invert it onto the rack. Peel off the parchment paper. Carefully flip the cake right side up and set the rack over a baking sheet. Let cool until warm, about 30 minutes.
4. MEANWHILE, MAKE THE GLAZE In a medium bowl, mix the confectioners’ sugar and poppy seeds. While whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in the grapefruit juice until a smooth, thick glaze forms. Pour the glaze all over the top of the warm cake and spread evenly over the top and side. Let stand until set, about 30 minutes.
The cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
You'll also love
- Potato Kugel 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Cranberry & Port Eton Mess 5/5 (3 Votes)
- RISSOTTO - Roasted Corn and... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Pear & Almond Cream Tart 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Lemony Wheat Berries with Roasted... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Coconut-Curry Chicken Thighs with... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Cheesy Bacon & Corn Casserole 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Butter Lettuce Salad With Pickled... 5/5 (2 Votes)