Chicken Sausage, Mushroom and Pasta Casserole -- Weight Watchers
A marinara sauce based comfort food casserole combining the flavors of chicken, sausage, mushrooms and pasta. This family favorite dish is in our regular rotation of meals. We love it!
Weight Watchers Points Plus = 9 per serving. 1 serving = approx. 1.5 cups.
- 2 sprays cooking spray
- 12 ounces uncooked whole-wheat pasta, rotini suggested (about 3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated, Parmigiano-Reggiano suggested
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces cooked chicken sausage, Italian-variety, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium uncooked, onion, chopped
- 1 pound fresh mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
Adapted from weightwatchers.com
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9- X 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain pasta and return to pot.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring often, until toasted, about 4 minutes. Remove breadcrumbs to a small bowl; stir in Parmesan and oregano and set aside.
In same skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until browned, about 5 minutes; remove to a plate and drain any fat from skillet.
Add pepper and onion to skillet; cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until vegetables start to brown and soften, about 5 minutes.
Add mushrooms and water to skillet; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
Add vegetables, sausage and marinara sauce to pot with drained pasta; toss to coat. Spoon into prepared baking dish and sprinkle with mozzarella and reserved breadcrumbs.
Bake until heated through and cheese melts, about 25 minutes. Slice into 8 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving (about 1 1/2 cups).
Make ahead tips: Assemble the casserole as directed but set aside the mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup of the sauce and the breadcrumbs. Wrap the casserole tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 2 days. When ready to bake, let the casserole come to room temperature and then drizzle with the reserved sauce. Sprinkle with the cheese and breadcrumbs and bake as directed above.
Place your casserole under the broiler for a minute after it's finished cooking, if you prefer your casseroles well-browned.
You'll also love
- Easy Chicken Chili 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Thai Chicken Peanut Noodles Recipe 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Baked Teriyaki Chicken 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Lemon Roasted Chicken Salad Wrap 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Vegetarian Wild Mushroom &... 4.4/5 (25 Votes)
- Grilled Portobello Mushroom,... 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Smothered Chicken Pasta Bake 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Chicken & Spinach Pasta Bake 4.3/5 (24 Votes)