Asian Green Beans
This is a really simple recipe to make. You can blanch the green beans and shock them in an ice bath, blot them dry and store for a day or two, before making this dish. The ingredients are super simple to find in most grocery stores. I like to use Chili Garlic Sauce to kick up the heat, but you don't have to.
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, ends trimmed (frozen doesn't work as well)
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, chopped (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or adjust to taste)
- NOTE: Chili Garlic Sauce makes a fast substitute for chopping garlic and adds some kick to it; I use 1 teaspoon of it.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed (can use a little more if desired)
- Black pepper
- Salt (optional)
- Cornstarch (mixed with cold water to thicken sauce)
- Sliced almonds or sesame seed
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 15mins
Adapted from afeastfortheeyes.net
Cook the green beans in a pot of boiling salted water until JUST crisp-tender (about 3 minutes) plunge into an ice water bath to cool completely.
Drain well and pat the beans dry using paper towels.
Heat sesame oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat; add in garlic and chili flakes (if using) stir-fry 1 minute.
Add in beans and stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
Add in soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar and black pepper; cook until the sauce reduces slightly and coats the beans (about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes longer).
If you want a thick sauce mix a small amount of cornstarch with a small amount of cold water and add in towards the end.
Add in the almonds or sesame seeds; toss to coat and transfer to a bowl.
You'll also love
- Red Lobster Bacon Wrapped Sea... 4.2/5 (12 Votes)
- Garlic Naan Bread 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Cheese Tortellini Soup w/... 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Chicken & Tortilla Soup 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Weeknight Roast Chicken with... 3.7/5 (105 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Stuffed Peppers 3.9/5 (65 Votes)
- Spinach Dip Baked Chicken 4.1/5 (48 Votes)
- Baked Chicken, Green Beans and... 4.4/5 (23 Votes)