Chicken & Tortilla Soup
This Chicken & Tortilla Soup is very easy to make, though I make appear to be more than that. I like to cook chicken in my crockpot, seasoned with taco seasoning and then shred.
My favorite way to eat this soup is to garnish it with fresh lime juice, baked or fried tortillas, a dollop of sour cream and a garnish of fresh cilantro. You can kick this dish up a notch by adding shredded cheese as well.
There are never leftovers, as this is very popular at my dinner table.
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 corn tortilla, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 large chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded
- Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Avocados, diced
- Sour cream, optional
- 2 corn tortillas, slice and fried crisp
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com.au
In dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the tortillas, garlic, cilantro and onion, cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, bringing to a boil. Add cumin, chili powder and bay leaves. Add chicken stock, shredded chicken and return to a boil. Reduce heat. Add salt and cayenne and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
Remove bay leaves and stir in cooked and shredded chicken.
Garnish with Monterrey Jack cheese and avocado, and sour cream and fried tortillas if desired.
NOTE: I like to make shredded chicken in my crockpot. I add some taco seasoning to water and just let this slow cook for a few hours. Delicious for tacos, tortilla soup, burritos! Good! You can even freeze the chicken for future use.
You'll also love
- Weeknight Roast Chicken with... 3.7/5 (105 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Stuffed Peppers 3.9/5 (65 Votes)
- Spinach Dip Baked Chicken 4.1/5 (48 Votes)
- Quick and Easy Chicken Fried Rice 4.4/5 (23 Votes)
- Homemade Chicken 'n Dumplins 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Crock Pot Chicken Enchiladas 4.4/5 (23 Votes)
- Freezer Chicken Enchiladas 4.5/5 (16 Votes)
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits 4.4/5 (24 Votes)