Slow-Cooker Spicy Black-Eyed Peas
Enjoy this easy slow-cooker recipe that's perfect for pot luck dinners and barbecues. This recipe tastes great with cornbread and a large gathering of loved ones catching up around the dinner table. Slightly spicy and richly flavored, this black-eyed pea recipe is the perfect zing to add to your dinner table any time of the year.
- 4 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 1 can Rotel Tomatoes with Green Chiles
- 1-pound dried black-eyed peas, sorted and rinsed (no need to soak)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 cups ham, diced
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups kale or spinach, roughly chopped
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 500mins
Adapted from allrecipes.com
Pour the water or broth into a slow-cooker, add the bouillon, and stir to dissolve.
Combine the black-eyed peas, Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base, Rotel Tomatoes with Green Chiles, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, jalapeno, ham, bacon, cayenne, cumin, black pepper, and honey; stir to blend. Cover the slow-cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours until the beans are tender.
During last hour of cooking add roughly chopped kale or spinach. Serve with cornbread.
You'll also love
- Pressure Cooker Sunday Gravy,... 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Skillet Raspberry Crumb Bars... 4.1/5 (17 Votes)
- Apple Cake, Harvest 4.3/5 (17 Votes)
- Thai-Style Black Bean Salad Recipe 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Spiked Fruit Salad 4.1/5 (27 Votes)
- BBQ Black Bean Tortilla Pizza 4.2/5 (19 Votes)
- 2-Ingredient Creamy Vanilla Rice... 4.2/5 (19 Votes)
- Roasted Acorn Squash with... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)