Christmas Eve Beef Stew
This beef stew is certainly perfect for Christmas, but you’ll enjoy it so much you’ll make it several times throughout the year. It’s a great make-ahead meal, and the Le Creuset oven looks marvelous on the range top and buffet.
- 2 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch slices
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 210mins
Adapted from lecreuset.com
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Season the beef liberally with the salt and pepper. Heat the oil in the Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring as needed, until browned on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
Discard any excess oil from the pan and return to medium-high heat. Add the onions and celery and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and stir, scraping the bottom and sides with a wooden spoon. Stir in the stock, thyme, rosemary and marjoram. Return the meat and any juices that have collected to the pot. Add the potatoes and carrots, then cover and bake for 3 hours. Stir in the peas and bake for 1 hour. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
You'll also love
- Crustless Mini Quiche Muffins 4.1/5 (18 Votes)
- APPLE CRANBERRY BACON CANDIED... 4.2/5 (19 Votes)
- St. Patrick's Day Lime Poke Cake 4.2/5 (18 Votes)
- Southern Living's Cornbread... 3.8/5 (97 Votes)
- Hunter's Venison Stew 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Perfect Sugar Cookie Cut-outs 4.1/5 (20 Votes)
- Sausage & Penne Soup 3.8/5 (13 Votes)
- Pan Seared Filet of Sirloin with... 4.3/5 (14 Votes)