Whole Wheat-Onion Bagels
Better than any store bought bagels, this homemade version is the way to go! Top with your favorite spread.
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water, 105°F to 115°F
- 4 tablespoons instant minced onion, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose ﬂour
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 3 1/2 quarts water
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons onion and oil, stirring well. Stir in whole wheat flour and salt; gradually stir in all-purpose flour. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 1 minute. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
Knead an additional 7 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°F), free from drafts, 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
Punch dough down, and divide into equal portions. Shape each portion into a smooth ball; punch a hole in the center of each ball, using floured fingers. Gently pull dough away from center, making a 1 1/2 inch hole. Place shaped bagels on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
Bring 3 1/2 quarts water to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Lower bagels, a few at a time, into gently boiling water; cook 3 minutes on each side. Transfer bagels to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, using a slotted spoon. Combine egg and 1 tablespoon water, beat well, and gently brush over bagels. Sprinkle with instant minced onion.
Bake at 450°F for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
You'll also love
- Broccoli Grape & Pasta Salad 4.6/5 (86 Votes)
- Maple Glazed Pork Tenderloin 5/5 (6 Votes)
- Asian Chicken Noodles 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Eggplant Parmesan 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Chicken and Spinach Wrap 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Butternut Squash, Caramelized... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- French's Crunchy Onion Chicken 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Roasted Sweet Potato Pâté 4/5 (1 Votes)