Eggplant Creole Appetizer with Crab Sauce
- Creamy Crab Sauce:
- Creole Sauce (see Recipe in Sauces)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine or dry Champagne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash Creole seasoning
- dash ground black or white pepper
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 cup lump crabmeat
- Fried Eggplant: _
- 1 cup plain fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- few sprigs parsley .
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 medium eggplant
First prepare the Creole Sauce. Set aside.
Creamy Crab Sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt 4 TBS butter over medium-low heat. Add the shallot and cook until tender.
Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes longer. Whisk in the milk until smooth. Cook the misture, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes, until thickened and bubbly. Add wine or champagne, 1/2 tsp salt and dash of Creole seasoning and the pepper. In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk egg yolk. Whisk in about 1/2 cup of the hot mixture, then return to saucepan and whisk until well blended. Add crab and continue cooking until steaming hot. Set Aside.
Slice eggplant in 1/4-inch rounds; set aside.
In a food processor, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a dash of pepper. Process until fine; pour into a shallow bowl or plate.
In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg with 1 tablespoon milk.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, dip an eggplant slice in the egg mixture, then dip the slice in bread crumbs, turning to coat well. Put in the skillet. Repeat with several more slices until Skillet is full. Turn as the slices brown and continue cooking until both sides are nicely browned.
Remove to paper towels and repeat with remaining slices, adding more oil to pan as necessary.
On each appetizer plate,spoon some of the Creole sauce; place 2 slices of eggplant on the sauce, then top with some of the crab sauce.
Makes about 8 servings.
You'll also love
- Maryland Crab Cakes 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Stensoni's Best Tomato Meat Pasta... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Congee (fish, cantonese style,... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Roasted Cherry Tomato Triscuit Cups 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Grilled Shellfish and Vegetables... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Crab Meat Salad 3.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Healthy Eggplant and Kale Parmesan 4.2/5 (6 Votes)