Sausage & Peppers - Patti LaBelle's
Super easy dinner supper! Brown sausage, veggies and add tomato sauce. Feel free to add any other spices you'd like! Top with grated cheese and enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 large onion, sliced (I used a red onion)
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch wide strips
- 1 large yellow (or use another red) pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch wide strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- One (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound of spaghetti
- Freshly grated Romano cheese
In a large dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat. Add the sausage. Cook, breaking up the sausage with the side of a spoon into one inch chunks, until the sausage is browned, about 10 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, tranfer the sausage to paper towels to drain.Pour off all but 2 teaspoons of the drippings in the skillet. Add the onion, bell peppers, and the garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, water, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, until thickened, about 20 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Stir in the spaghetti. Cook, stirring occasionally, until barely tender, about 9 minutes. Drain well. Serve the spaghetti in individual serving bowls, with the sausage and peppers over the top. Pass the cheese on the side.