Lentils with Rice
- 1 cup of dried lentils
- 2 tbs. sun dried tomatoes – diced
- 1/2 large onion – diced
- 4 cloves garlic – chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley – chopped
- 1 long hot pepper – chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water plus tsp. of Vegeta powdered chicken stock
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbs. olive oil - plus more for drizzling
- 1 vine ripe tomato – diced
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from livingthegourmet.com
Heat a heavy saucepot with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the garlic; sun dried tomatoes, onion, parley and hot pepper. Sauté until the onion is softened and the garlic is fragrant.
Add the ketchup, lentils, salt, water plus the Vegeta and simmer on a low heat, until the lentils are tender and the water is absorbed; approximately 30 minutes. If more water is needed add a quarter of a cup at a time.
Prepare the rice as directed.
Plate the lentils with the rice. Garnish with the tomatoes, chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.