Potato Leek Soup
Just a few ingredients make this delicious potato leek soup. It’s a hearty and satisfying classic. Use vegetable or chicken broth to suit your preference.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 leeks, white and light green parts only, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 6 Russet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth (best quality such as Swanson)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup half and half
- Chives, finely chopped (Optional)
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from onceuponachef.com
Melt butter over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add leeks and garlic and cook, stirring regularly, until soft and wilted, about 10 minutes. Adjust the heat as necessary so as not to brown.
Add potatoes, stock, bay leaves, salt and pepper to pot and bring to a boil. Cover and turn the heat down to low. Simmer 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are very soft.
Fish out the bay leaves, then purée the soup with a hand-held immersion blender until smooth. (Alternatively, use a standard blender to purée the soup in batches. Be sure not to fill the jar more than halfway. Leave the hole in the lid open and cover loosely with a dishtowel to allow the heat to escape. Pour blended soup into a clean pot.)
Add half and half and bring to a simmer. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. If soup is too thin, simmer until thickened. If it's too thick, add water or stock to thin it out. Garnish with fresh chives if desired.
You'll also love
- Potato & Leek Soup 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Potato Leek Soup (Julia Child's)... 4.4/5 (37 Votes)
- Instant Pot Potato & Leek Soup 4.5/5 (29 Votes)
- BITTERSWEET SQUASH WITH PANCETTA... 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Pear-Ginger Ice Cream 4/5 (7 Votes)
- Olives Stuffed with Almonds,... 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Quick Cobbler 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Birria De Borrego (Mexican Lamb... 4.2/5 (5 Votes)