Potato Leek Soup (Julia Child's) Potage Parmentier
For a more delicately flavored soup, sub in water for the vegetable stock. This may sound blasphemous, but I felt the original recipe was missing a certain spark. A few modern upgrades (amended in the following recipe) were just the trick. The resulting soup is velvety and immensely soothing and would make for an excellent first course for a Julia-themed dinner — or any French meal, for that matter.
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil, such as canola or grapeseed oil
- 4-5 medium russet potatoes (1 pound), peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 large leeks (1 pound), cleaned, and thinly sliced
- 6 cups vegetable stock (or light chicken stock)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche
- 1/3 cup minced parsley or chives
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from yumsugar.com
Heat the oil in a large (6+ quart) stockpot or dutch oven, over medium heat. Add the leek and potato. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have begun to soften and brown slightly, about 8-12 minutes (this time will vary greatly depending on the surface area of the bottom of your pot).
Add the vegetable stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
Blend until smooth either using an immersion blender, or by carefully transferring to a blender in batches.
Add the cream, and season to taste with salt (I start with 1 teaspoon and go from there, tasting frequently) and lemon juice.
Ladle into bowls and garnish with a dollop of crème fraiche, and a healthy sprinkling of minced parsley.
You'll also love
- HCG Diet (P3) Beef Tacos w/... 4.4/5 (32 Votes)
- Old-Fashioned Sour Cream Doughnuts 4.2/5 (56 Votes)
- German Apple Cake 4.4/5 (36 Votes)
- CARROT CAKE O TORTA DE ZANAHORIAS 4.4/5 (34 Votes)
- BOB W'S CORN CAKES 4.4/5 (33 Votes)
- Bacon Cheeseburger Potato Pie 4.4/5 (33 Votes)
- Sweet Soft Cherry Bread with... 4.4/5 (33 Votes)
- Roasted Sweet Potato Coins 4.4/5 (36 Votes)