Potato & Leek Soup
- 1/4 lb (125 g) bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 leeks, cleaned and sliced
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) sea salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) light cream or heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh parsley
Cook the bacon in a medium-sized pot for 4-5 minutes, or until brown. Remove the chopped bacon and set aside. Add the garlic and all of the vegetables and continue to saute for another 4-5 minutes.
Add all of the remaining ingredients, except the cream and parsley. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
Using a hand blender, puree the soup until smooth. Gently stir in the cream. Stir in the parsley, or use as a garnish. Top with bacon.