BITTERSWEET SQUASH WITH PANCETTA AND LEEKS
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 oz. chopped pancetta*
- 2 1/2 lb. butternut squash, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces (5 cups)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup lower-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped leeks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Adapted from cooking club.com
1. Sprinkle sugar evenly over bottom of large deep skillet. Heat over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes or until melted and golden brown, stirring occasionally once sugar is partially melted. Stir in pancetta; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until browned. Add squash; stir until well combined with pancetta mixture.
2. Add vinegar; bring to a boil. Stir in vegetable broth. Add leeks, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until squash is almost tender, stirring occasionally. Uncover; continue cooking 10 minutes or until squash is tender and glazed, stirring occasionally.
6 (2/3-cup) servings
PER SERVING: 165 calories, 8 g total fat (3 g saturated fat), 2.5 g protein, 23 g carbohydrate, 10 mg cholesterol, 315 mg sodium, 4.5 g fiber
TIP *Pancetta is an unsmoked rolled Italian bacon that’s cured with salt and spices.
You'll also love
- Pear-Ginger Ice Cream 4/5 (6 Votes)
- Olives Stuffed with Almonds,... 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Black Walnut Pumpkin Bread 3.8/5 (6 Votes)
- Beef Chili with Pancetta, Ancho... 4.1/5 (10 Votes)
- Baby Bok Choy and Leeks 3.8/5 (27 Votes)
- Greek Rice with Leeks (Prasorizo) 4/5 (12 Votes)
- Pea and Pancetta Spaghetti... 0/5 (0 Votes)